First Class is Tuesday, September 2, from 9:00 am to 10:50, room TBA. Attendance at the first class is mandatory. Readings will be placed in your mail folder before class. Also see readings schedule below.
Each student must schedule a 30 minute meeting with the clinic faculty during the first week of classes. Times are available on 8/27 and 8/28. Link to the google-docs sign-up sheet here: http://tinyurl.com/First-Week-Meeting-Sign-up
All the course readings and forms are contained in the Clinic Binder, which you will receive at the first meeting. First class readings will be placed in your mail folder.
Note that because we need to start case assignments in the second week of the semester, Drop/Add for clinics ends on Tuesday, September 2. If you have any thoughts of dropping the clinic, please speak with Carolyn McAllaster as soon as possible.
Out of Class Activities:
First Week of Classes
- Introductory meeting with Carolyn, Allison & Hannah (see above) -- sign-up is on Google docs - follow this link to sign up
- Office hours and meetings sign-up: On Google docs . Follow this link to sign up
- Office Tour/Orientation: Our assistance, Sandra Pettiford, will be giving tours and orienting you to the clinic office. Sign up for a time during the first week of classes by emailing Sandra or stopping by her desk at the entrance to the clinic.
- State Bar Form - must be submitted by Friday, August 29, at noon. To complete the form, you must first read:
NC Lawyer's Handbook 2014 -- with NC Rules of Professional Conduct & Rules Governing Practical Training of Law Students (Student practice rules - Subchapter C, section 0200).
- Schedule -- please provide your schedule on our google doc by following this link.
Second Week of Classes:
- Computer/Case Management Software Training: You will need to be trained in our case management software, Clio. This will take place outside of classes.
- Training Sign-up [link coming soon]
- Encryption Sign-up [link coming soon] (you must have your laptop encrypted if you want to use Clio or work on client documents on your own laptop.
- Clinic Intensive: Friday, September 5, 8:45 - 5:00. This session is mandatory. We will provide a light breakfast as well as lunch. The day will include a visit to the Duke Infectious Disease Clinic.
- Road trips provide students with the opportunity to meet with clients in areas outside of the Triangle. Students always feel that these trips are a high point of the semester. The trips are a great way to help you quickly gain confidence and experience. All travel and client time is counted toward your clinic hours. For each trip, one of the Supervising Attorneys takes a group of about 3-8 students to interview new clients and to prepare and execute advance directives such as a Power of Attorney, Health Care Power of Attorney, Living Will, Standby Guardianship Designation. We also do intakes for Wills. We encourage you to sign up for at least one road trip during the semester.
ALFA -- Fairgrove Primary Health, Hickory NC, September 26
Wake Forest Baptist Hospital, Winston-Salem, NC, October 3
Unless otherwise specified, readings are from the Clinic Binder
JOURNAL DUE DATES: Journals are due every other Monday. Due dates:
9/8, 9/22, 10/6, 10/27, 11/10, 11/24, plus final journal due before end of semester