Currently, twenty-three states offer loan repayment assistance programs for attorneys entering public interest or government employment: Arizona, District of Columbia, Florida, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, New Hampshire, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, Texas, South Carolina, Vermont, and Washington. For more information about these programs, please visit the ABA Loan Repayment & Forgiveness web page.
Federal Government LRAP
The Office of Personnel Management provides information about loan repayment assistance for federal government employees. The following federal government agencies also offer loan repayment assistance:
- Defense Nuclear Facilities Safety Board
- Department of Defense
- Department of Health and Human Services
- Department of Justice
- Department of Labor*
- Department of State
- Federal Energy Regulatory Commission
- Government Accountability Office*
- Nuclear Regulatory Commission*
- Securities and Exchange Commission*
* These employers participate in On-Campus Interviewing.
Many legal services organizations across the country provide loan repayment assistance programs for their employees. A list of such organizations is available from the Legal Services Corporation.