Duke University School of Law is pleased to invite your organization to participate in our 2014 Spring Interview Program. Below are several options to suit your organization's recruiting needs. We encourage you to consider 1Ls, 2Ls and 3Ls, and you may choose to interview a combination of class levels based on your specific hiring needs. In addition, this spring, we invite your organization to pre-select the students with whom you wish to interview on campus. There is no fee to participate in any of our spring recruiting initiatives.
Spring 2014 Registration
- Registration for Spring 2014 Recruiting
- Spring Employer Receptions
- Shipping Packages & Mailing Materials
- Anti-Discrimination Policy
- Spring Interview Program Cancellation Policy
- Scholastic Standing & Grading Policy
1. 1L Spring Interview Program - 1L Interviews will take place at Duke Law School on Thursday evenings (5:00-8:20PM) and Fridays in February. Interviews are typically twenty minutes in length. Your organization may sign up for an evening and/or a full day of interviews. On-line registration will begin on Wednesday, November 20, 2013, at 12:00 Noon ET. We encourage you to submit your on-line registration request no later than Friday, January 3, 2014 at Noon ET. Once we have processed your request, the contact listed for your organization will receive an email confirming your interview date within three business days. To register: https://law-duke-csm.symplicity.com/employers
PLEASE NOTE: 1L grades are expected to be available mid-late January, 2014. Students will upload their transcripts on Symplicity as soon as they are available to complete their applications.
2. Job Listings & Resume Solicitations - You may prefer to receive resumes directly from students interested in your organization. We accept job postings/resume solicitations throughout the year. Instructions: http://www.law.duke.edu/career/employer/resumeinstruct. To post your job/resume solicitation: https://law-duke-csm.symplicity.com/employers/.
Second and Third-Year Recruiting
If your organization would like to interview 2Ls or 3Ls during the Spring, we will help you schedule a convenient interview date. If you would like to schedule a day of interviews, please contact Joanna Eglinton. We will work with your organization to schedule a convenient interview date. To register: https://law-duke-csm.symplicity.com/employers/
All employers participating in our Spring Recruiting Program must use Symplicity to register.
- To access Symplicity, enter your User ID (full e-mail address) and Symplicity password.
Forgot Password? If you no longer have your password information, please log onto Symplicity and click the "FORGOT MY PASSWORD" tab at the top of the login page. Enter your User ID and a password will be sent to that e-mail address.
- To register, please use these instructions:
- 1. Log onto Symplicity at: https://law-duke-csm.symplicity.com/employers.
- 2. Enter your Duke Law “USER ID” (full e-mail address) and “PASSWORD.”
- 3. Click on “OCI.” The on-campus interviews homepage should appear.
- 4. Click on the grey “SCHEDULE REQUESTS” tab.
- 5. Click on the “REQUEST SCHEDULE” button, located to the bottom left of the page.
6. Complete the registration request form for the 2014 Spring Interview Program at Duke Session.
- Interview time slot categories:
- o Afternoon III - 5:00PM - 8:20 PM
- o Full Day II - 9:00AM - 5:10 PM
- 7. Click on “SUBMIT” to send your registration request to the Duke Law Career & Professional Development Center to complete your request. When completing your registration form, be sure to choose your preferred interview date AND two (2) alternate interview dates.
- All correspondence pertaining to Spring Interviews will be sent via email to the contact listed on Symplicity. Please make sure that your recruiting department is able to access Symplicity prior to the above dates. If you have problems registering, please contact our office. Once your registration has been approved and a date assigned, you will receive an e-mail confirmation.
- Resume Solicitation - We accept job postings/resume solicitations throughout the year. (Link above)
- Video conferencing - If you are unable to travel to campus to conduct interviews, you may collect resumes and set up video interviews with selected students, If you would like to set up video interviews, please contact Joanna Eglinton.
Spring 2014 Interviews will be held at Duke School of Law, 210 Science Drive, Durham, NC 27708.
- INTERVIEWER NAMES: As soon as you are aware of your interviewer's identity, kindly enter into Symplicity the interviewer's name, title and any Duke Law or Duke University alumni affiliation and year of graduation information.
- PARKING/CHECK-IN: Please arrive 30 minutes before your first interview and park in the Visitor's Lot on Science Drive (directly across from Fuqua School of Business). If you would like a complementary parking pass to place in your vehicle, please request one at least four (4) business days prior to your interview date and one will be mailed to the address you designate. In the alternative, you may obtain one when you check in at Employer Registration on the day of your interview.
If your organization would like to get to know our Class of 2016 students, we encourage you to take part in Blueprint for Success on Tuesday, March 4, 2014, at the Durham Convention Center. Please contact Joanna Eglinton at the Career Center at email@example.com to learn more about the benefits of the Blueprint for Success. Most of the JD Class of 2016 will attend in preparation for Fall OCI, and this multi-faceted event will enable you to make meaningful and lasting contacts, connecting with students on a one-to-one basis.
While 1Ls learn about the day-to-day activities and challenges of 35+ practice areas and the core skills required to succeed in each, representatives of your organization can showcase your expertise and leadership in fields of your choice. No fee is required to send attorneys to participate as Practice Area Table representatives. Sponsorship opportunities are available for any law firm wishing to have a dedicated table. Students are armed with bios of all participating attorneys and recruiting professionals in advance of the program to maximize the efficacy of every encounter. For more information or if you have any questions, please contact Joanna Bell at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you plan to ship marketing materials to the law school to be distributed on your scheduled interview date, please send according to the following instructions:
- Plan to mail all packages so that they arrive at Duke Law School at least two business days prior to your scheduled interview date. This should provide ample time to correct errors such as lost or misdirected packages.
Do not address the package to yourself or your interviewers - if our mailroom does not recognize the addressee on the package, this increases the chance that it will not be delivered to the proper place. Please address all packages as follows:
Joanna Eglinton, Recruiting Coordinator
Career and Professional Development Center
Duke University School of Law
210 Science Drive, Suite 2015
Durham, North Carolina 27708
FedEx/UPS Shipments: The Law School's physical address is 210 Science Drive (do not include the Box number).
- Include the following email addresses: email@example.com in the shipping company’s tracking and notification system. This will help the Career Center staff know when your package has been received in our mailroom so that we can in turn track the package within the Law School.
- Please clearly label and package separately all materials that are to be delivered some place other than the interview room suite. The area designated for your hospitality table may not be in close proximity to your interview room. This will help us to deliver all of your materials to their proper destination.
- If you are hosting an evening reception in the Durham area, please make arrangements with the venue to ship your materials directly to the event location.
Conditions of Recruiting On-Campus
"Duke University School of Law is committed to providing students and graduates with equal opportunity to obtain employment without discrimination based on race, color, veteran status, religion, national origin, political affiliation, sex, sexual orientation, age or handicap.
In the Law School's view, the 'don't ask, don't tell' policy of the United States military constitutes or permits discrimination based on grounds of sexual orientation. The School nonetheless permits the military service to use its facilities for recruitment because the failure to do so would subject Duke University to the loss of substantial Federal funding."
Statement Adopted by the Faculty of Duke Law School
PLEASE CHECK THE SECTION ON YOUR ON-LINE SYMPLICITY REGISTRATION REQUEST FORM LABELED DUKE UNIVERSITY SCHOOL OF LAW ANTI-DISCRIMINATORY POLICY TO AFFIRM YOUR ORGANIZATION'S COMPLIANCE.
All employers interviewing at Duke Law School are encouraged to be familiar with the School's Anti-discrimination Policy and the National Association for Law Placement publication, Lawful and Effective Interviewing Practices, as an aid to appropriate interviewing practices.
*All cancellation requests must be made at least one week prior to your interview date.
The Law School does not release class rank.
Duke Law School uses a slightly modified form of the familiar 4.0 scale. The modification permits faculty to recognize especially distinguished performances with grades above a 4.0. The highest grade given is 4.3. A grade of 1.5 or lower is failing.
The median grade for all first- year and upper level courses of 40 or more students is 3.3.
Again, Duke Law School does not release class rank.