Providing educational opportunities to Duke students is the cornerstone of our approach. The goal of all student related educational opportunities is to translate our experience and that of seasoned legal professionals into knowledge that can be readily applied by our students and graduates.
Our career guides outline how to identify your interests, seek employment opportunities, and how to present your best self to potential employers. Excerpts from the various career guides can be accessed through the links below or you can download the complete guides, by visiting the Career Center Guides page.
We have also included videos and podcasts of our programs, which cover a wide range of professional development topics. These audio/visual resources are a great supplement to our written materials and can be accessed by visiting the Career Webcasts and Podcasts page.
- Class of '13 Resources
- Planning Your Career: Insight from the Career and Professional Development Center on how to think about your career goals.
- Presenting Your Best Self: Tips on how to ensure that what a potential employer learns about you is a reflection of you at your best.
- Investigating Summer Job Opportunities for Law Students: Outlines the many types of summer jobs available to law students with a focus on the 1L summer.
- Conducting a Thorough Job Search: Lists resources to refer to for job postings and other information about potential employers.
- Networking: Networking is an important part of any job search. Provides tips on networking generally and how to use social events as networking opportunities.
- Creating a Resume: Tips on resume preparation and sample resumes for review.
- References and Reference Lists: Tips on selecting an appropriate reference and preparing a reference list.
- Writing a Cover Letter: Tips on developing a cover letter and sample cover letters for review.
- Interviewing: A primer for law students on the different types of interviews one can expect and good advice on preparing for an interview.
- Communicating with Potential Employers: Provides tips on how to communicate effectively with employers.
- Creating a Writing Sample: Outlines the key components of a legal writing sample.