North Carolina Department of Public Instruction
- N.C. Department of Public Instruction: http://www.dpi.state.nc.us/
- N.C. Department of Public Instruction Exceptional Children’s Division: http://www.ncpublicschools.org/ec/
- N.C. Handbook on Parents Rights: Information on the rights of parents with children who have disabilities. http://www.ncpublicschools.org/ec/policy/resources/rights
School Systems in the Clinic’s Service Area
- Alamance-Burlington School System: http://abss.k12.nc.us/
- Caswell County Schools: http://www.caswellschools.org/
- Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools: http://www.chccs.k12.nc.us/
- Chatham County Schools: http://www.chatham.k12.nc.us/
- Durham Public Schools: http://www.dpsnc.net/
- Granville County Schools: http://eclipse.gcs.k12.nc.us/public/
- Franklin County Schools: http://www.franklinco.k12.nc.us/
- Orange County Schools: http://www.orange.k12.nc.us/
- Person County Schools: http://www.person.k12.nc.us/
- Vance County Schools: http://www.vcs.k12.nc.us/
- Wake County Public Schools: http://www.wcpss.net/index.html
- Warren County Schools: http://www.warren-countyschools.org/
Helpful Resources for Parents and Advocates
- LD Online: information on learning disabilities. http://www.ldonline.org/
- National Dissemination Center for Children with Disabilities: National center that provides information regarding disabilities in both English and Spanish. http://www.nichcy.org/
- Learning Disabilities Association of America: National volunteer organization that advocates for individuals with learning disabilities. http://www.ldanatl.org/
- Wrightslaw: Legal information and advice for parents and advocates. http://www.wrightslaw.com/
- Office of Special Education Programs, U.S. Department of Education: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/osers/osep/index.html?src=mr
- Clinical Center for the Study of Development and Learning (at UNC): State organization that works closely within communities to provide support for people with developmental disabilities and their families. http://www.cdl.unc.edu
- CHADD: Children and Adults with Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder http://www.chadd.org/index.htm
- Autism Society of North Carolina: http://www.autismsociety-nc.org/
- Attention Deficit Disorder Association: http://www.add.org/
- All Kinds of Minds : A non-profit institute for the understanding of differences in learning: http://www.allkindsofminds.org/
- The ARC of North Carolina (Association for Retarded Citizens): Association dedicated to improving the quality of life and increasing choices for people with disabilities. http://www.arcnc.org/
- Center for Exceptional Children: International professional organization dedicated to improving education for students with disabilities and giftedness. http://www.cec.sped.org/
- The Center for Law and Education: A national organization working to bring about change in order to improve the education of low-income students.
- Council of Parent Advocates and Attorneys: A national organization that promotes collaboration between parents and educators with the goal of improving education for children with
- Exceptional Children’s Assistance Center (ECAC): A free training and assistance center for parents of children with disabilities
- Family Support Network of North Carolina: Organization that provides support for families with children who have special needs.
- Governor’s Advocacy Council on Persons with Disabilities: A civil rights protection agency committed to serving citizens with disabilities in North Carolina.
Laws Affecting Children with Disabilities
- Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) — 20 U.S.C. 1400 through 20 U.S.C 1419: Federal law governing the education of children with disabilities.
- Assistance to States for the Education of Children with Disabilities — 34 CFR Part 300, including Appendix A: Federal regulations implementing the IDEA.
- Early Intervention Program for Infants and Toddlers with Disabilities — 34 CFR Part 303
- North Carolina Procedures Governing Programs and Services for Children with Disabilities
- North Carolina General Statutes Chapter 115C: State law governing the education of children with disabilities