The Role of Information in Supporting Legal and Economic Institutions
Triangle Law and Economics Conference
Friday -- 8:00 p.m. -9:30 p.m.
- Appetizers and Drinks, Washington Duke Inn (Bull Durham Bar)
Saturday: 9:00-10:30 a.m (Duke Law School Room 4045)
Session 1: Theory and Applications for Information Markets
- Marco Ottaviani - (London Business School)
Aggregation of Information and Beliefs in Prediction Markets (.pdf)
(Mis)selling through Agents (.pdf)
- Michael Abramowicz -(George Washington Law School)
Predictocracy: Market Mechanisms for Public and Private Decisionmaking (.pdf)
Saturday: 10:45 a.m. -12:15 p.m.
Session 2: Legal Proceedings
- Chris Sanchirico (University of Pennsylvania Law School)
Harnessing Adversarial Process: Optimal Strategic Complementarities in Litigation
A Primary Activity Approach to Proof Burdens
- Scott Baker (UNC – School of Law)
Should We Pay Federal Circuit Judges More (or Less)? (.pdf)
Saturday: 12:15 p.m.-1:15 p.m.
Saturday: 1:15 p.m. -3:30 p.m.
Session 3: The Role of Information in Contract Choice and Design
- Alan Schwartz (Yale Law School) and Joel Watson (University of San Diego, Department of Economics)
Contextual Asymmetry, Contractual Interpretation, and the Choice of External Enforcer (.pdf)
- Albert Choi (University of Virginia Law School)
Completing Contracts in the Shadow of Costly Verification (.pdf)
- Kathy Zeiler (Georgetown Law Center)
Contract Disclosure Rules and Damage Caps: An equilibrium model of their effects on behavior in health care markets (.pdf)
Saturday: 3:45 p.m. – 5:15 p.m.
Session 4: Valuation of Legal Claims: Policies and Restrictions
- Edward Morrison (Columbia Law School)
Creditor Control and Conflict in Chapter 11 (.pdf)
- Anup Malani (University of Chicago Law School)
Valuing Laws as Local Amenities (.pdf)
Saturday: 7:30 p.m. -9:30 p.m.
- Dinner: Tracy Lewis's house. Transportation will be provided to and from the Washington Duke Inn
Sunday: 9:00 a.m. -10:30 a.m.
Session 5: Reputation
- Barak Richman (Duke Law School) -- The Antitrust of Reputation Mechanisms
- Ian Ayres-(Yale Law School) -- Newspaper Liability: Protecting Sources and Reputation
Sunday: 10:45 a.m. -12:15 p.m.
Session 6: Concluding Thoughts and Future Research Agenda
- Thomas Hazlett – George Mason University, Department of Economics
- Tracy Lewis – Duke University, Fuqua School of Business