- Gender and Law: Theory, Doctrine, Commentary (Aspen Publishers, 4th ed. 2006, 5th ed. 2010, 6th ed. 2013) (with Deborah L. Rhode)
- Gender Law and Policy (Aspen Publishers, 2010) (with Deborah L. Rhode)
- Gender and Law: Theory, Doctrine, Commentary (Aspen Publishers, 3d ed. 2002) (with Angela P. Harris & Deborah L. Rhode)
- Principles of the Law of Family Dissolution: Analysis and Recommendations (American Law Institute 2002) (Reporter, with Ira Ellman & Grace Blumberg)
- Gender and Law: Theory, Doctrine, Commentary (Aspen Publishers, 2d ed., 1998) (with Angela P. Harris)
- Gender and Law: Theory, Doctrine, Commentary (1993)
- Family Law: Cases, Text, and Materials (Michie, 2d ed. 1991) (with Ira Ellman & Paul Kurtz).
- Feminist Legal Theory: Readings in Gender and Law (Westview Press, 991) (ed., with Rosanne Kennedy).
- Children with Special Needs (Transaction Press,1987) (ed., with Judith Welch Wegner).
- Child Advocacy: Readings and Problems (1985).
Articles and Essays
- Feminist Legal Scholarship: A History Through the Lens of the California Law Review, 100 California Law Review 381-430 (2012)
- Tradition as Past and Present in Substantive Due Process Analysis, 62 Duke Law Journal 535-578 (2012)
- Showcasing: The Positive Spin, 89 North Carolina Law Review 1055-1082 (2011)
- Unconstitutionally Male?: The Story of United States v. Virginia, in Women and the Law Stories 133-177 (Elizabeth Schneider & Stephanie Wildman eds., 2011)
- Reply: Good Intentions Matter, 96 Virginia Law Review In Brief 35-39 (2010)
- Making Good on Good Intentions: The Critical Role of Motivation in Reducing Implicit Workplace Discrimination, 95 Virginia Law Review 1893-1972 (2009)
- A Conversation Among Deans from "Results: Legal Education, Institutional Change, and a Decade of Gender Studies," 29 Harvard Journal of Law & Gender 465-484 (2006) (with Edward Rubin & W.H. Knight)
- Feminism and Family Law, in Women and the Law 307-334 (Jane Campbell Moriarity ed., 2005)
- Foreword: A Tribute to William W. Van Alstyne, 54 Duke Law Journal 1355-1357 (2005)
- More on Lazy Rules: Remarks at the Investiture of Ira Mark Ellman, March 25, 2003, 35 Arizona State Law Journal 715-718 (2003).
- Foreword: Symposium on International Securitization and Structured Finance, 12 Duke Journal of Comparative & International Law 281-4 (2002) (with Douglas T. Breeden).
- Preference, Presumption, Predisposition, and Common Sense: From Traditional Custody Doctrines to the American Law Institute's Family Dissolution Project, 36 Family Law Quarterly 11-25 (Spring 2002)
- U.S. Custody Law and Trends in the Context of the ALI Principles of the Law of Family Dissolution, 10 Virginia Journal of Social Policy & the Law 5-53 (2002).
Cracking Foundations As Feminist Methods
, 8 Am. U. J. Gender Soc. Pol'y & L. 31 (2000).
, in Legal Canons 266 (Jack Balkin & Sanford Levinson eds., 2000).
- Comparing Race and Sex Discrimination in Custody Cases, 28 Hofstra L. Rev. 877 (2000).
Child Custody In the 21st Century
, 35 Willamette L. Rev. 467 (1999).
Feminism and Family Law
, 33 Fam. L.Q. 475 (1999).
Perspectives in Feminist Jurisprudence
, in Feminist Jurisprudence, Women and the Law: Critical Essays, Research Agenda, and Bibliography 3 (Betty Taylor, Sharon Rush & Robert J. Munro eds., 1999).
- Improving the Law Relating to Postdivorce Arrangements for Children, in The Postdivorce Family 71 (Paul Amato & Ross Thompson eds., 1999).
Saving the Family From the Reformers
, 31 U.C. Davis L. Rev. 809 (1998).
- Anglo-American Law, in A Companion to Feminist Philosophy 530 (Alison M. Jaggar & Iris Marion Young eds., 1998).
A Family Agenda Without the Rhetoric
Chi. Trib., Aug.29, 1996, sec. 1 at 27.
Tradition, Change, and the Idea of Progress in Feminist Legal Thought
, 1995 Wisc. L. Rev. 303.
Only Girls Wear Barrettes: Dress and Appearance Standards, Community Norms and Workplace Equality
, 92 Mich. L. Rev. 2541 (1994).
Perspectives in Feminist Jurisprudence
, 1 Duke J. Gender L. & Pol'y 1 (1994).
Sex, Lies, and Dissipation: The Discourse of Fault in a No-Fault Era
, 82 Geo. L. J. 2525 (1994) (with Barbara Bennett Woodhouse).
- Feminist Perspectives on the Ideolgical Impact of Legal Education upon the Profession, 72 N.C. L. Rev. 1259 (1994).
, 23 Conn. L. Rev. 473-490 (1993) (Commentary on, R.A. Posner, Sex and Reason (1992)).
, 14 Sydney L. Rev. 393 (1992) (reviewing P. Williams, The Alchemy of Race and Rights (1991)).
Minnow's Social Relations Approach: Unanswering the Unasked Questions
, 17 Law & Soc. Inquiry 437 (1992) (reviewing M. Minnow, Making All the Difference: Inclusion, Exclusion and American Law (1990)).
, in Beyond PC: Toward a Politics of Understanding 122 (Patricia Aufderheide ed., 1992).
Some Factual Corrections About Political Correctness
Wall St. J., June 6, 1991, at A19.
Feminist Legal Methods
, 103 Harv. L. Rev. 829 (1990).
The Chilly Climate on College Campuses: An Expansion of the "Hate Speech" Debate
, 1990 Duke L.J. 574 (with O'Barr).
Surrogate Parenthood: Finding a North Carolina Solution
, 18 N.C. Cent. L.J. 1 (1989).
Custody Preference Should Go to Mother
, N.J.L.J., Feb. 18, 1988, at 29.
Porno-Symbolism: A Response to Professor McConahay
, Law & Contemp. Probs., Winter 1988, at 71.
, 98 Yale L.J. 293 (1988).
Teaching Values: A Dilemma
, 37 J. Legal Educ. 519 (1987).
- Baby M: The Legal System Confronts Conflicting Human Values, Duke L. Mag., Summer 1987, at 4.
- Courts Not Bound by Parental Agreements, N.J L.J., Feb. 26, 1987, at 27.
- MacKinnon's Feminism: Power on Whose Terms, 75 Calif. L. Rev. 1559 (1987) (reviewing C. MacKinnon, Feminism Unmodified: Discourses on Life and Law).
- Storytelling, 1987 Duke L.J. 760 (reviewing M. Glendon, Abortion and Divorce in Western Law: American Failures, European Challenges).
- Joint Custody, Feminism and the Dependency Dilemma, 2 Berkeley Women's L.J. 9 (1986) (with Carol B. Stack).
- The Role of Cost in Educational Decision making for the Handicapped Child, Law & Contemp. Probs., Spring 1985, at 7.
- A Reappraisal of Parenthood Duke L. Mag., Summer 1984.
- Rethinking Parenthood as an Exclusive Status: The Need for Legal Alternatives When the Premise of the Nuclear Family Has Failed, 70 Va. L. Rev. 879 (1984).
- In re B.G.: The Expanding Role of the Juvenile Court in Child Custody Disputes, 63 Cal. L. Rev. 236 (1975).
- Pregnancy and the Constitution: The Uniqueness Trap, 62 Cal. L. Rev. 1532 (1974).
- Disability as a Social Construct, 18 Contemporary Sociology 759 (1989) (reviewing Claire H. Liachowitz, Disability as a Social Construct: Legislative Roots (1988))
- Book Review, 12 Signs 879 (1988) (reviewing Catherine A, McKinnon, Feminism Unmodified: Discourses on Life and Law (1987) and Susan Estrich's Real Rape (1987))