Articles and Essays
- Algorithms and Speech, 161 University of Pennsylvania Law Review 1445-1493 (2013)
- Bootstrapping, 75 Law & Contemporary Problems 115-143 (2012)
- Standing the Test of Time: The Breadth of Majority Coalitions and the Fate of U.S. Supreme Court Precedents, 4 Journal of Legal Analysis 445-469 (2012) (with Bruce A. Desmarais)
- Transmitting, Editing, and Communicating: Determining What 'The Freedom of Speech' Encompasses, 60 Duke Law Journal 1673-1713 (2011)
- Mr. Presidential Candidate: Whom Would You Nominate?, 42 Loyola of Los Angeles Law Review 293-334 (2009) (with Mitu Gulati)
- Roasting the Pig to Burn Down the House: A Modest Proposal, 7 Journal on Telecommunications & High Technology 95-105 (2009)
- Structuring U.S. Innovation Policy: Creating a White House Office of Innovation Policy, Information Technology & Innovation Foundation (June 2009) (with Arti K. Rai)
- Fixing Innovation Policy: A Structural Perspective, 77 George Washington Law Review 1-88 (2008) (with Arti K. Rai)
- Tennis with the Net Down: Administrative Federalism without Congress, 57 Duke Law Journal 2111-2155 (2008) (with Ernest A. Young)
- In Appreciation: Katharine T. Bartlett, 56 Duke Law Journal i-xii (2007) (with others)
- Who's Afraid of the APA? What the Patent System Can Learn from Administrative Law, 95 Georgetown Law Journal 270-336 (2007) (with Arti K. Rai)
- Evaluating E-Rulemaking: Public Participation and Political Institutions, 55 Duke Law Journal 893-941 (2006)
- Evaluating the FCC's National Television Ownership Cap: What's Bad for Broadcasting Is Good for the Country, 46 William & Mary Law Review 439-511 (2004)
- Spectrum Abundance and the Choice Between Private and Public Control, 78 New York University Law Review 2007-2102 (2003).
- The Logic of Scarcity: Idle Spectrum as a First Amendment Violation, 52 Duke Law Journal 1-111 (2002).
- Proactive Legislation and the First Amendment, 99 Michigan Law Review 281-364 (2000).
- Stepping into the Same River Twice: Rapidly Changing Facts and the Appellate Process, 78 Texas Law Review 269-373 (1999).
- Equal Protection and the Special Relationship: The Case of Native Hawaiians, 106 Yale Law Journal 537-612 (1996).
- The Applicability of Just Compensation to Substantive Due Process Claims, 100 Yale Law Journal 2667-86 (1991).