Christopher H. Schroeder
Duke Law School
Science and Towerview Drive
Durham, North Carolina 27708-0360
46 Green Mill Lane
Durham, North Carolina 27707
J.D., University of California School of Law, Berkeley.
Order of the Coif; Editor-in-Chief, California Law Review, 1973-74.
M.Div., Yale University Divinity School.
Rockefeller Fellow, 1968-69.
|1964-68||B.A., Princeton University.|
Selected Professional Experience
- July 1995 - Present: Professor of Law and Public Policy Studies, Duke University.
- July 1979 - July 1995: Professor of Law (Associate Professor until 1985), Duke Law School.
- January 1996 - Present: Co-Chair, Center for the Study of the Congress, Duke University.
- January 2000 - Present: Director, Program in Public Law.
- Executive Branch
- July 1996 - January 1997: Acting Assistant Attorney General, Office of Legal Counsel, United States Department of Justice.
- October 1993 - June 1996: Deputy Assistant Attorney General or Special Counsel, Office of Legal Counsel, United States Department of Justice.
- December 1998 - March 1999: Impeachment Trial Counsel, Senator Joseph R. Biden, Jr. (D-Del.)
- July 1992 - January 1993: Chief Counsel, United States Senate Judiciary Committee.
- July 1991 - November 1991, July 1987 - January 1988: Special Nominations Counsel, United States Senate Judiciary Committee.
- July 1977 - March 1979: Partner in the law firm of Armour, Schroeder, St. John & Wilcox, San Francisco. Law practice emphasized civil litigation. Areas of emphasis included employment law, zoning and land use planning, environmental law, public utilities commission practice, and oil and gas leasing.
- June 1976 - December 1978: Director, Energy and Environment Project, Earl Warren Legal Institute, University of California, Berkeley. Areas of research included energy conservation, land use issues related to energy use, cogeneration, institutional barriers to the utilization of solar energy, energy facility siting procedures.
- June 1974 - June 1976: Associate, McCutchen, Doyle, Brown & Enersen, San Francisco. Practice emphasized civil appellate practice, employment law, land use and zoning.
Books and Supplements
- Percival, Miller, Schroeder and Leape, ENVIRONMENTAL REGULATION: LAW, SCIENCE AND POLICY, THIRD EDITION (Aspen Publishing, 2000)
- Percival, Miller, Schroeder and Leape, ENVIRONMENTAL REGULATION: LAW, SCIENCE and POLICY, SECOND EDITION (Little, Brown & Co. 1996)
- Percival, Miller, Schroeder and Leape, 1993 & 1995, 1998 SUPPLEMENTS TO ENVIRONMENTAL REGULATION: LAW, SCIENCE and POLICY (Little, Brown & Co., 1993, 1995)
- Percival, Miller, Schroeder and Leape, ENVIRONMENTAL REGULATION: LAW, SCIENCE and POLICY (Little, Brown & Co., 1992)
Articles and Book Chapters
- Deliberative Democracy's Attempt to Replace Politics with Law, 65 LAW & CONTEMPORARY PROBLEMS 95 (2002).
- Foreword: The Law of Politics, 65 LAW & CONTEMPORARY PROBLEMS 1 (2002).
- Lost in the Translation: What Environmental Regulation Does That Tort Cannot Duplicate, 41 WASHBURN L.J. 583 (2002).
- Chevron, State Farm and the EPA in the Courts of Appeals in the 1990s, 31 ENVIRONMENTAL LAW REPORTER 10371 (April, 2001) (with Robert Glicksman) (reprinted in Volume 32, LAND USE AND ENVIRONMENTAL LAW REVIEW (2002)).
- Regulating Automobile Pollution: An Environmental Success Story for Democracy? 20 ST. LOUIS U. PUB. L. REV. 21 (2001).
- Public Choice Reconsidered (January, 2001 draft) (working paper).
- Causes of the Recent Turn in Constitutional Interpretation, 51 DUKE LAW JOURNAL 307 (2001).
- Third Way Environmentalism, 48 KANSAS LAW REVIEW 1 (2000).
- Clear Consensus, Ambiguous Commitment: A Review of Dan Farber's Eco-Pragmatism, 98 MICH. L. REV. 1876 (2000)).
- Putting Politics and Law in the Right Places - Replacing the Independent Counsel Act, 61 LAW & CONTEMPORARY PROBLEMS 163 (1999).
- Rational Choice versus Republican Moment Explanations for Environmental Laws, 1969-93, 9 Duke Envt'l. L. & Policy Forum 29 (1998).
- Causation, Compensation and Moral Responsibility, in PHILOSOPHY OF TORT LAW (David Owen, ed., Oxford University Press, 1995).
- Hamilton and Schroeder, Strategic Regulators and the Choice of Rulemaking Procedures: The Selection of Formal vs. Informal Rules in Regulating Hazardous Waste, 57 LAW & CONTEMPORARY PROBLEMS 111 (1994).
- Cool Analysis versus Moral Outrage in the Development of Federal Environmental Criminal Law, 35 WILLIAM AND MARY LAW REVIEW 251 (1993).
- A Conservative Court?, 1993 PUBLIC INTEREST LAW REVIEW 127 (1993).
- Congress Stories, 65 SO. CALIF LAW REVIEW 1531 (1992).
- Glicksman & Schroeder, EPA and the Courts: Twenty Years of Law and Politics, 54 LAW & CONTEMPORARY PROBLEMS 249 (Autumn, 1991).
- Foreword to L&CP Issue, Assessing The Environmental Protection Agency After Twenty Years: Law, Politics, and Economics, 54 LAW & CONTEMPORARY PROBLEMS 1 (Autumn, 1991).
- Corrective Justice, Liability for Risks, and Tort Law, 38 UCLA LAW REVIEW 143 (1990).
- Corrective Justice and Liability for Increasing Risks, 37 UCLA LAW REVIEW 439 (1990).
- In the Regulation of Manmade Carcinogens If Feasibility Analysis Is the Answer, What Is the Question?(Review of FRANK, CROSS, ENVIRONMENTALLY INDUCED CANCER AND THE LAW), 88 MICHIGAN LAW REVIEW 1483 (1990).
- The Evolution of Federal Regulation of Toxic Substances, Chapter in GOVERNMENT AND ENVIRONMENTAL POLITICS (Woodrow Wilson Center Press, 1989).
- Rights Against Risks, 86 COLUMBIA LAW REVIEW 495 (1986).
- Liberalism and the Objective Point of View, in Justification XXVIII NOMOS 180 (1986).
- Two Approaches to Duty to Rescue Proposals, 49 LAW & CONTEMPORARY PROBLEMS 181 (No. 3 1986).
- Schroeder & Magat, Administrative Process Reform in a Discretionary Age: The Role of Social Consequences, 1984 DUKE LAW JOURNAL 301.
- Foreword: A Decade of Change in Regulating the Chemical Industry, 46 LAW & CONTEMPORARY PROBLEMS 1 (Summer 1983).
- Schroeder & Miller, The Validity of Utility Conservation Programs According to Generally Accepted Regulatory Principles, 3 SOLAR LAW REPORTER 967 (1982).
- Schroeder, Wiggins & Wormhoudt, Five Design Applications of a Large Plant/Small Unit Power Plant Configuration: Research and Findings, in ENERGY TECHNOLOGY VII: THE NEW FUELS ERA (1981).
- Schroeder, Wiggins & Wormhoudt, Flexibility of Scale in the Large Conventional Coal-Fired Powerplants, ENERGY POLICY (June 1981).
- Book Review, The National Energy Plans--ERDA-48, ERDA 76-1 and ERDA 77-1, 7 ECOLOGY LAW QUARTERLY 171 (1978).
- The Independent Counsel Act, 61 LAW & CONTEMPORARY PROBLEMS (1999)
- Assessing The Environmental Protection Agency After Twenty Years: Law, Politics, and Economics, 54 LAW & CONTEMPORARY PROBLEMS (Autumn, 1991)
- Federal Regulation of the Chemical Industry, 46 LAW & CONTEMPORARY PROBLEMS (Summer 1983)
Environmental Law, Administrative Law, The Congress (cross-registered with Public Policy), Government, Business and Public Policy (cross-registered with the Fuqua School of Business), Environmental Litigation Clinic, Toxic Substances Regulation, Land Use Planning, Water Law, Philosophy of Environmental Protection, Property, Civil Procedure.
Speeches, Testimony, Conference Participations, Committee Responsibilities and Other Professional Activities Available Upon Request.