- The Allocative Effects of Commercial Law: Comments on Butner v. United States (Center for Law and Economics, Emory University)
- The Interaction of Article 9 and the New Bankruptcy Code (1980) (North Carolina Bar Foundation).
- The Law of Sports (1979) (with Cym H. Lowell).
- Cases and Materials on Internal Union Affairs (1973).
- 1985 Supp. to The Law of Sports.
Articles and Essays
- Can Gender Equity Find a Place in Commercialized College Sports?, 3 Duke J. Gender L. & Pol'y 191 (1996).
- The 90's University: Reading, Writing and Shoe Contracts, N.Y. Times, Nov. 28, 1993, at 23.
- How Colleges Can Cash In on Their Coaches, Wall St. J., Sept. 11, 1992, at A18.
- College Bowls: Apple Pie and Taxation With Justification N.Y. Times, Dec. 22, 1991, § 8, at 9.
- Serious Reform of College Sports Must Go Beyond Fine Tuning, Chronicle Higher Educ., Jan 10, 1990, at A52.
- The Role of Faculty in the Governance of College Athletics, A Report of the Special Committee on Athletics Academe, Jan.-Feb. 1990, at 43.
- In Defense of Lower Fees, Sports Inc., June 27, 1988, at 52.
- College Sports Reform: Where are the Faculty?, Academe, July-Aug. 1987, at 12.
- In This Case, Everyone Had a Motive, N. Y. Times, Sept. 6, 1987, § 5, at 10.
- The Law School Curriculum: The Process of Reform, 1987 Duke L.J. 317.
- The Rhetoric of Freshman Ineligibility, Atlanta Journal/Constitution, Jan. 4, 1987, at D1 (with A. Kenneth Pye).
- National Commission Needed to Improve College Athletics, Wash. Post, July 6, 1986, at C6 (with Arthur Padilla).
- A College Sports Commissioner: The Time is Now, N.Y. Times, Nov. 3, 1985, § 5, at 2.
- Legal Consequences of Standard Setting for Competitive Athletes with Cardiovascular Abnormalities, 6 J. Am. Coll. Cardiology 1189 (1985).
- Will College Sports Reform be Business as Usual?, N.Y. Times, June 16, 1985, § 5, at 2.
- League Control of Market Opportunities: A Perspective on Competition and Cooperation in the Sports Industry, 1984 Duke L. J. 1013.
- The Unnatural Athletic-Academic Link, N.Y. Times, Aug. 5, 1984, § 5, at 2.
- Legal Accountability and the NCAA, 10 J. C. & Univ. L. 167 (1983).
- Rule-Making in Interscholastic Sports: The Bases of Judicial Review, 11 J. L. & Educ. 291 (1982), reprinted in Law & Amateur Sports (R. Waicakauski ed., 1982).
- Judicial Review of Labor Agreements: Lessons from the Sports Industry, Law & Contemp. Probs., Autumn 1981, at 109.
- Antitrust Issues in the Regulation of College Sports, 5 J. C. & Univ. L. 77 (1978-79).
- Player Discipline in Professional Sports: The Antitrust Issues, 18 Wm. & Mary L. Rev. 703 (1977).
- The Costs of Bankruptcy, Law & Contemp. Probs., Autumn 1977, at 107.
- Requirements and Output Contracts: Quantity Variations under the UCC, 1973 Duke L.J. 599, reprinted in Corporate Counsel's Annual-1974 at 807 (1974).
- Foreword (Athletics), 38 Law & Contemp. Probs. 1 (Autumn 1973).
- Consumer Protection in the Credit Card Industry: Federal Legislative Controls, 70 Mich L. Rev. 1475 (1972).
- Foreword (Expansion of the Common Market), 37 Law & Contemp. Probs. 219 (1972) (with Robinson Everett).
- Foreword (Community Economic Development) (pts. 1-2), 36 Law & Contemp. Probs. 1, 145 (1971).
- Foreword (Historic Preservation), 36 Law & Contemp. Probs. 309 (1971).
- Foreword (Police Practices), 36 Law & Contemp. Probs. 445 (1971).
- Foreword (Judicial Ethics), 35 Law & Contemp. Probs. 1 (1970).
- Wellington, Labor and the Legal Process 1969 Duke L.J. 1313.
- The Interaction of Constitutional Privilege and Statutory Immunity in Bankruptcy Examinations, 53 Minn. L. Rev. 29 (1968).
- The Contracts Experience, (DVD course materials, 2002) (with H. Jefferson Powell & Girardeau A. Spann).