“Attending Duke Law’s LLM in Law and Entrepreneurship Program enabled me to propel my legal career forward over the course of relatively brief period of time. My initial goals for attending the program were to expand my knowledge of entrepreneurial law, and to broaden the scope of my legal knowledge. I received much more; an immersive experience which not only offered exceptional legal and business courses, but which developed other invaluable professional skills. Getting involved in the rapidly developing Research Triangle business community and generating a local professional network has proven to be an invaluable learning experience. The program stands out because it offers both a substantive legal education and a “real world” education, and allows students to tailor the program to fit their individual career goals. My goal was to secure an in-house counsel position. Through the Practicum Program I was able to serve as in-house counsel at a Durham based start-up. That opportunity has served me well in my current position as in-house counsel for a Durham based publicly traded company. The LLM in Law and Entrepreneurship Program has been an exceptionally rewarding experience for me both professionally and personally, and I recommend it wholeheartedly.”
– Jean Michel LLMLE'14
Duke LLMLE students are provided services through the dedicated staff in the Career Center, whose mission is for every graduate to launch his or her career with the right job - not just any job. Almost all of our graduates are typically engaged in careers of their choosing when they graduate or shortly thereafter and we have one of the strongest employment records among U.S. law schools. There is also a helpful handbook for LLMLE students seeking employment.
Duke LLMLE graduates have found employment with startups, law firms, in-house counsel, venture capital firms, and other businesses.
LLMLE employers include:
- Axiom: Law firm with leaders and experts in the business of law, helping General Counsel solve business problems through engagement.
- Bowles Rice: Law firm specializing in energy law, banking law, litigation, employers’ liability law, construction law, and education law.
- Burnett & Thomason: A full-service firm that serves businesses throughout the United States, including industry leaders in the Energy Sector.
- Clinipace: A global digital contract research organization (dCRO), serving venture-backed, mid-tier, and strategic pharmaceutical, biotechnology, and medical device firms.
- Cree, Inc.: In-house counsel for manufacturer of silicon carbide based semiconductors.
- Dental One Partners: Business Strategist for a managerial and marketing firm for more than 150 dental practices across 14 states.
- DiscoverReady: Startup centered on creating and implementing the highest-quality, most efficient, and least costly document review processes possible.
- DLA Piper: Global law firm with lawyers located in more than 30 countries, positioned to help companies with their legal needs anywhere in the world..
- 8 Rivers Capital: Technology financing and commercialization firm that brings new ideas to market.
- ESO Solutions: Contracts and corporate development for company providing electronic patient care reporting (ePCR) and other software solutions designed to improve patient care.
- Halliburton: Offers a broad array of oilfield services and products to upstream oil and gas customers worldwide.
- Hellman Yates: Law firm specializing in corporate and commercial law, real estate development and leasing, mergers and acquisitions, zoning, land use law, and telecommunications.
- Human Performance Consulting: Coaching, sports training programs, and technical advice rooted in evidence-based practice.
- Impulsonic: Acoustic software development startup.
- LeClairRyan: Entrepreneurial law firm that provides business counsel and client representation in matters of corporate law and high-stakes litigation.
- LikeCharity: Mobile platform designed to help charities raise funds using mobile and social media technology.
- Lowenstein Sandler: Law firm representing public and private companies, financial institutions, investors, entrepreneurs, universities, and private clients in corporate and litigation matters.
- L Star Management: Real estate investment firm.
- McGlinchey Stafford: Law firm counseling businesses, corporations and institutions in business, consumer finance, government and public policy, healthcare, labor and employment, litigation, and public finance.
- Mercy College: Director of Community, Government and Legal Affairs for Mercy College, a Middle States accredited, Hispanic-serving institution, and Department of Veteran Affairs “Yellow-Ribbon” designated school enrolling nearly 10,000 students study in more than 90 undergraduate and graduate programs.
- Moore & VanAllen: Business law firm for blue-chip clients including large national banks, successful international manufacturers, growing healthcare and technology companies, noted retailers, and more.
- Morgan, Lewis & Bockius: Law partnership including lawyers, patent agents, benefits advisers, regulatory scientists, and other specialists.
- Morningstar Law Group: Business law firm that offers a suite of practices, including corporate, securities, employment, real estate, land use, litigation, and intellectual property.
- Motaavi: A crowdfunding market startup. Created as part of the Duke Startup Challenge student competition.
- Oliff: Firm specializing in intellectual property legal services.
- Parsons Behle & Latimer: Law Firm with expertise in providing services to the natural resources industry, including multi-billion dollar companies, start-up companies, and individuals.
- Proskauer Rose: Law firm with wide experience in all areas of practice important to businesses, including corporate finance, mergers and acquisitions, private equity, real estate transactions, bankruptcy and reorganizations, taxation, litigation, trusts and estates, intellectual property, and labor and employment law.
- Red Hat: Multinational software company providing open-source software products.
- ReverbNation: Provides music industry professionals, artists, managers, labels, venues, festivals/events with powerful, easy-to-use technology to promote and prosper online.
- Rock Creek Capital: Managing Partner for a venture capital firm.
- RocketBolt: Startup designed to increase internet hits and activity for customers. Member of The Startup Factory's fall 2013 cohort.
- Seward & Kissel: Law firm with practice focus on corporate and litigation work for clients seeking legal expertise in the financial services, corporate finance, and capital markets areas.
- Smith Anderson: Largest business and litigation law firm headquartered in the Research Triangle area and one of the largest in North Carolina.
- Smith Moore Leatherwood: Law firm with expertise in a wide range of substantive areas.
- Snell, Wylie & Tibbals: Law firm handling traditional and innovative real estate, corporate, partnership acquisition, complex business litigation, and financing projects for large business organizations, small entrepreneurial startups, and individuals.
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Middle District of Florida: Law Clerk providing clerical and administrative support to the court by processing filed legal documents, maintaining case-related papers, collecting authorized fees, sending notices, entering judgments and orders on the docket, informing parties of scheduled hearings, and handling inquires from attorneys and the general public.
- Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati: Law firm representing technology, life sciences, and other growth enterprise companies at every stage of development, from entrepreneurial start-ups to multibillion-dollar global corporations, as well as the venture firms, private equity firms, and investment banks that finance and advise them.
- Winstead: Law firm focusing on business, transactions, litigation, and dispute resolution, serving real estate, financial services, and corporate clients.
- Wyrick Robbins Yates & Ponton: Entrepreneurial law firm with a focus on growth-oriented businesses.