Your Financial Aid Award

Main Content

Official Financial Aid Notice

Financial aid eligibility is determined by using the FAFSA. We begin emailing Official Financial Aid Notices to newly matriculating students soon after our deposit deadline in late spring. Loan eligibility cannot be determined until this electronic transmission has been received by the Office of Financial Aid. Second and third-year students will receive award notices in early summer, provided that their FAFSA has been completed and our office has received the need analysis information. Students who are late in completing their FAFSA may not have their financial aid funding available at the beginning of the semester.

The Official Aid Notice is based on the final Student Expense Budget approved by the Law School and includes the financial aid awarded for the upcoming year. Students then log in to DukeHub to accept, decline, or modify the awards listed on the Official Aid Notice. Students can also use DukeHub to report any awards they will receive from sources outside the Law School (i.e. Americorps, CLEO, community organizations). As per federal regulations, students are required to provide this information to the Office of Financial Aid even if the the award is paid directly to them. If the student has already used all financial aid eligibility outlined under the Student Expense Budget, the award will replace an equal amount of loan funds. These funds will be returned to the lender and subtracted from the student’s outstanding loan debt.

Outside Aid (Aid from Sources other than the Law School)

Students are required to report other sources of aid (such as outside grants or scholarships) to the Office of Financial Aid so that their financial aid package can be adjusted.  In most cases, this adjustment first reduces the amount of loans that a student is allowed to borrow then reduces scholarship funding, if necessary.  Note to Yellow Ribbon Scholarship Recipients: Yellow Ribbon funding replaces any previously awarded Law School scholarship on a dollar for dollar basis.

Reporting Outside Awards

Each financial aid recipient must notify the Office of Financial Aid of all outside scholarships by completing the outside award information on the financial aid tabs of ACES. The information should include:
  • The name of the award
  • The amount of the award
  • The disbursement schedule for the award (i.e. Is the award a-one time amount, or is it intended to be split between semesters?  This is generally specified in the award letter/notification you receive.)
  • Who will receive the award (Duke or the student)

Mailing Scholarship Checks

All scholarship checks should be sent directly to:
Duke University Cashiering
Box 90759
Durham, NC 27708
Students can also hand deliver checks to:
Duke University Cashiering
114 South Buchanan Boulevard
Bay 8, Room B-103
Durham, NC 27705

Required Documentation

The Office of Financial Aid will also notify you of required documentation via email and through the ACES system.  Students should submit the required documentation as soon as possible to avoid delays in processing aid.

Satisfactory Academic Progress

Federal regulations governing the student financial assistance programs stipulate that in order to continue to be eligible for Title IV funds (e.g. Direct Subsidized/Unsubsidized Loan, Direct Graduate PLUS Loan, Federal Perkins Loan) students must maintain satisfactory academic progress (SAP) toward a degree. To maintain satisfactory academic progress, students must achieve a required cumulative minimum grade point average (GPA), complete a minimum number of credit hours, and graduate within a specified timeframe.  See Duke Law's Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy.