We are committed to fully supporting students in pursuing diversity fellowships, scholarships, and opportunities. Each November, we highlight 1L diversity fellowships through internal progrmming and an evening diversity networking reception, and we post and highlight diversity opportunities for 1Ls and 2Ls through the year. To support students in preparing fellowship applications, students work one-on-one with counselors and student affinity groups frequently host programs and facilitate mentor relationships where upper-class students pass along advice to 1Ls about the application and interview process. If you are interested in attending the evening networking reception or would like to post an opportunity, please email Ashley Walker.
Connect with the Career Center
The Career and Professional Development Center looks forward to partnering with employers in various ways. Contact Ashley Walker with your inquiry.
- We often connect employers with student groups that they wish to collaborate with on specific events. We are happy to talk with you about your ideas, or please feel free to connect directly with student leaders (see below).
- We may be interested in partnering on programming open to students of all diverse identities, such as practice interview programs, lunchtime programs, and networking events. If you want to get involved, you do not need to have a particular idea to propose - we may already have programming planned that you can participate in.
- We also actively seek attorney volunteers for our Paving Pathways program, which compiles information of diverse attorneys willing to be contacted by students involved with our student affinity groups as they build their networking skills and seek informal mentors. Attorneys who are part of Paving Pathways are also invited through the year to participate in on campus events as available.
Please note that due to the scheduling constraints of the academic year, programming for Fall (end of August through November) should generally be proposed by early September, and programming for Spring (January through mid-April) should generally be proposed by early January.
Connect with Student Leaders
Interested in connecting with or sponsoring a particular student group? Contact student group leaders directly one of two ways (please also cc Bethan Eynon in your email):
- View student contacts for Diverse Affinity Groups (updated July 18, 2018)
- Access a full list of all Duke Law student organizations
Student groups seek sponsorship and partnership for particular lunchtime events, networking/social events, and general sponsorship for an academic year for non-employer specific programming such as 1L welcome dinners, mentorship programs, and lunch during general body meetings. Examples of past programming featuring attorneys or particular firms include "White & Case Lunch and Learn" (HLSA and BLSA); "Empowering Women in the Legal Profession" (WLSA); "Big Law in New York" (APALSA); "Women Rainmakers" panel of female partners (APALSA, BLSA, WLSA); "Navigating Big Law as a Hispanic Attorney" (HLSA). Larger partnerships include sponsorship of OutLaw students' attendance and travel for Lavendar Law and WLSA's annual Fall Practice Interview Program open to all students.
Planning Inclusive Programming