JD/LLM alumni and students gathered for lunch at the Washington Duke Inn to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the dual-degree program’s first graduating class. After Dean David F. Levi welcomed the attendees, Professor Jonathan Wiener, who directs the JD/LLM program, moderated a discussion with three alumni who have each forged rich careers in international law since graduating from Duke. Philip Nichols '88 is the Class of 1940 Bicentennial Term Chair and Associate Professor of Legal Studies and Business Ethics at the University of Pennsylvania and focuses his research on the institutions of international trade and on the institutional changes occurring in emerging economies. Michael Samway ’96 practiced corporate and securities law at White & Case before joining Yahoo! where he founded the company’s Business and Human Rights Program and most recently served as vice president and deputy general counsel, leading the company’s international legal team in Europe, Asia, the Middle East, and Latin America. Meha A. Shah ’94, who joined the discussion by phone due to travel problems, is an attorney adviser for Near East Affairs in the U.S. Department of State; over her 13-year career at the State Department she has served as an attorney for the Nuclear Proliferation Division, the Economic and Business Affairs Division, and the Political-Military Affairs Division.
The JD/LLM 25th Anniversary Luncheon - April 12, 2013
- International Student-Alumni Dinner - Jan. 28, 2016
- Careers in International Law: International Trade & Development, a Conversation with John Simpkins '99 - Feb. 4, 2016
- Fourteenth Annual ESQ Career Symposium - Jan. 29-30, 2016
- The EPA's Clean Power Plan: A Discussion of the Past, Present, and Future - Jan. 27, 2016
- Pies & Cider with OSA - November 19, 2015