Quick Legal Research Links
- LawHelpNC.org -- This is a very helpful website with legal information about many topics, from Legal Aid of North Carolina.
North Carolina General Statutes
Standby Guardianship -- G.S. 35A-1370 et seq
Wills, G.S. Ch 31
Health Care Advance Directives, § 32A-15 et seq
Health Care Power of Attorney for a Minor, § 32A-28 et seq.
Power of Attorney, G.S. Chapter 32A
Living Will (right to natural death) § 90-320 et seq
Public Health, Chapter 130A
Communicable Diseases, § 130A-134
HIV Testing & Discrimination, § 130A-148
HIV Confidentiality § 130A-143.
North Carolina Administrative Code
Communicable Disease Control, Title 10A, Chapter 41, Subchapter A
- North Carolina Department of Health & Human Services Manuals (Medicaid, Food Stamps, etc)
HIV Medical Issues
- Duke Medical Center Library, good starting place, includes access to research tools. Duke users can access online journals and texts
- Duke Medical Center Library - Materials for Medical Students -- also very helpful for law students or other non-medical researchers
- University of Maryland Medical Center Encyclopedia -- Straightforward information about various medical conditions, with illustrations, photos, and video.
- Visual Medical Dictionary
- Medical Dictionary
- Journal of the International AIDS Society, open access full-text
- Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes, Ovid Full text (available for Duke work stations only)
- Journal of the American Medical Association, (available on Duke work stations only)
- The Open AIDS Journal, open access full-text
HIV and Fatigue
Fatigue Articles by Julie Barroso. Ph.D., ANP, CS, et al (password required):
- Just Worn Out: A Qualitative Study of HIV-Related Fatigue
- Psychometric Properties of the HIV-Related Fatigue Scale
- Physiological and Psychological Markers Associated with HIV-Related Fatigue
- A Review of Fatigue in People with HIV
- Predicting Fatigue and Depression in HIV-Infected Gay Men
- HIV-Related Fatigue: Nursing Interventions to Help Patients Manage
- Merck Manual: Extremely comprehensive medical manual; provides helpful medical background on countless medical conditions. This is more text than dictionary.
- HealthFinder: Site operated by U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Includes links and references concerning a wide range of health topics.
- Duke Medical Center Library Online: Links to a variety of medical research tools.
- MedicineNet.com: Wide range of medical articles written for laypersons, on subjects including diseases, treatments, diagnostic tools
- Lab Tests Online: information about a wide range of diagnostic tests
- Medical Pictures: A wide variety of medical pictures that may help you understand your client's medical conditions
North Carolina Public Health & HIV/AIDS Law
- NCGS 130A-144 (Investigation and Control Measures)
- NCGS 130A-143 (Confidentiality of AIDS/HIV Status)
- NCGS 130A-25 (Criminal Sanction for Disclosure)
- NCGS 130A-148 (AIDS Testing and Anti-Discrimination Provisions)
- 15 NCAC 19A .0201 (Control Measures Generally)
- 15 NCAC 19A .0202 (Control Measures - HIV)
- 15 NCAC 19A .0206 (Control Measures in Health Care Setting)
- 15 NCAC 19A.0207 (HIV & HEP B Infected Health Care Workers)