- On Feb. 29, 2008, Carolyn McAllaster presented a workshop, “Advance Directives, Adult Guardianship, Permanency Planning,” for North Carolina Pediatric HIV Social Workers in Wilmington, N.C.
- Carolyn McAllaster presented a workshop in Durham, N.C. on “Legal Issues in HIV” for the 2008 Community Forum on HIV sponsored by the Duke and UNC Infectious Diseases Clinics on March 19, 2008.
- On April 3, 2008, Professor McAllaster conducted a workshop for the Duke Additions Program on “Disability, SSI, Medicaid, Medicare” in Durham, N.C. On Sept. 25, 2008, McAllaster conducted a workshop on “Confidentiality and the Law” for the same program.
- Allison Rice was a presenter at the 2008 Annual Client Conference of New Hanover Memorial Hospital on the topic of “Planning for the Future,” in Wilmington, N.C. on April 25, 2008.
- On May 22, 2008 and again on Nov. 6, 2008, Carolyn McAllaster presented a workshop, “Legal Needs of HIV-Infected Clients,” for Duke Infectious Diseases Clinic HIV peer mediators, at the Avila Retreat Center in Durham, N.C.
- Allison Rice was a presenter at the HIV/STD State-wide Conference sponsored by the North Carolina HIV/STD Prevention & Care Branch on the topic of “Confidentiality: A Patient’s Right to Privacy,” in New Bern, N.C. on Aug. 15, 2008.
- Professor McAllaster participated in a panel discussion at the N.C. Association of Women Attorneys 2008 Annual Conference on “The Role of Women Attorneys in Improving the Administration of Justice,” in Asheville, N.C. on Oct. 4, 2008.
- On Oct. 10, 2008, Carolyn McAllaster presented at a conference in Fayetteville, N.C., “Taking Control of the Silent Epidemics,” on the topic of “Discrimination, Confidentiality and the Law.”
- Carolyn McAllaster co-authored a chapter entitled, “Issues in Family Law for People with HIV,” in AIDS and the Law, 4th ed., co-authored with Jeffrey Selbin and Carol Suzuki, Aspen Publishers, Inc. (2008)
D.C. Institute offers introduction to law school
Dean Levi to teach alongside U.S. Senator and former White House advisor
Distinguished Chair awards
» Baxter, Blocher, Brewster, Garrett, Jones, Newman, and Wettach honored with distinguished professorships.
Kerry Abrams selected as next dean of Duke Law School
Abrams, vice provost for faculty affairs and professor of law at the University of Virginia, is a leading scholar of immigration and family law.
A convocation celebration
Family, friends, and faculty join graduates to celebrate the Class of 2018.
“It does something to your soul ... when everyone at risk of losing their homes looks like you.”
POLITICO highlights Duke Law’s Jesse McCoy and the Civil Justice Clinic.
2008 Presentations, Education, and Scholarship
- Richman comments on CarolinasHealthcare expansion plans WRAL
- Richman discusses Charlotte health care system's billion-dollar expansion NPR: WFAE Charlotte
- Farahany discusses ethics of animal testing The Pulse
- McAllaster, Becton '69 honored as "Defenders of Justice" by N.C. Justice Center
- Richman and Schulman: Mergers between health insurers and pharmacy benefit managers could be bad for your health STAT