Several things really. My wonderful girlfriend is a Dukie who was offered a job on campus, and I was ready to move on to a new position, as well. Plus, if I spent another day living in Miami, I was going to commit murder.
2. What is your title and what does your job entail?
Director of Financial Aid. With the help of our wonderful financial aid coordinator Lena Garrett, I oversee the financial aid process for law students. Specifically, that entails packaging and awarding students, certifying loans, awarding scholarships, and administering our LRAP program, amongst many other duties. I also work on the admissions side of the office, meeting with applicants, recruiting, and reviewing admissions files.
3. When you are away from the Law School, how do you spend your time?
I enjoy reading, watching films, listening to live music, exploring the triangle, hiking, vain attempts at salsa dancing, and relaxing at home with my best friend.
4. What are a few of your favorite books that you’d recommend for reading?
- The Kite Runner (and A Thousand Splendid Suns) by Khaled Hosseini
- A People’s History of the United States by Howard Zinn
- Ishmael by Daniel Quinn
- Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime by Mark Haddon
- A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson
5. Put together a dinner party with five famous people, either living or dead. Who would you invite and why?
1. Jesus: To ask him what he really meant and how he feels about the actions his name is used to legitimize now. Also, maybe get him to grant me some super powers!
2. Thomas Jefferson: To get him on record as to what makes a real patriot.
3 & 4. Lewis and Clark: To hear their story of exploring America before anyone knew what was there.
5. Barack Obama: To talk to the next president of the United States!