On this day, homeless individuals are provided services donated by area agencies, organizations, and individuals. The “guests” are given the opportunity to receive hot showers, hair cuts, eye exams, medical screening, employment counseling (some will even be interviewed by employers who are prepared to make job offers), assistance with housing, legal assistance, etc. This year, Spay-Neuter Assistance Program of N.C. (SNAP-NC) will have a mobile clinic available for guests' pets. The clinic will house pets during the guests’ time at the ballpark and will offer spaying, neutering, and vaccine services. Additionally, participants of Duke Law’s Veterans Disability Assistance Project (VDAP) and area attorneys will hold a Veterans’ Disability Assistance Intake during the event.
The event will take place on Thursday, Oct. 7, from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m. at the Durham Bulls Athletic Park. Durham Area Transit Authority (DATA) will provide free transportation for the guests between several locations within Durham and the ballpark.
How can you help?
1. Volunteer to work in the general legal area or in the VDAP legal area. (Minimum time commitment in legal area is two hours.)
2. Volunteer to be a guest escort. In this area you would be paired with a guest or a guest family. You will get to know your guest(s) and escort them through the various stations throughout the facility. The length of time is dependent on the guests’ needs.
3. Work in EXIT. You would interview guests and their escorts to determine if the guest has visited all stations that would meet their individual needs.
If you work as an escort, or in EXIT, you will need to participate in a special training. More details on the training to come.
If you are unavailable on the day of the event, you can help in other ways:
1. Help set up the ball park the day before the event.
2. Help input client information into the data system.
3. Help pack the give away bags that will be given to the guests at exit.
4. Make telephone calls to solicit donations from area vendors.
5. Help tear down the set-up and clean the area following the event.
Finally, the Office of Pro Bono and Public Interest is sponsoring a SOCK DRIVE. We will have a large box in the Blue Lounge in which to deposit new socks that will be included in the guests’ give away bags.
If you are interested in participating, please complete the sign-up sheet available next to the Sock Drop box in the Blue Lounge or send an email to Kim Burrucker at Burrucker@law.duke.edu.