Law students who meet the selection criteria and have entered into a JD program at an ABA-accredited law school in the United States are eligible to apply for the Donald W. Banner Diversity Scholarship. Applicants may not be a current or past employee of Banner & Witcoff, or directly related to a current employee of Banner & Witcoff.
Scholarship recipients will be selected by the Donald W. Banner Diversity Scholarship review board based on the following criteria:
• Academic merit (undergraduate, graduate and law school)
• Commitment to the pursuit of a career in IP law
• Member of a historically under represented group in IP law (including race, sex, ethnicity, sexual orientation, and disability)
• Written communication skills
• Oral communication skills determined through an interview of the law student
• Leadership qualities and community involvement
Recipients of the Donald W. Banner Diversity Scholarship will receive $5,000 payable for the Fall semester of their second or third year of law school.
Applications will be accepted August 17, 2010 through November 1, 2010. Awards will be announced in March 2011.
Applicants will submit the following documents for consideration:
• Completed Donald W. Banner Diversity Scholarship application form
• Academic transcripts (law school, undergraduate/graduate school)
• Writing sample (5-10 pages) (a legal writing sample is requested, if available)
• Contact information for three references
• One page statement describing how diversity has impacted the candidate
The application for the 2011 Donald W. Banner Diversity Scholarship for law students is now available. Completed application materials must be postmarked no later than November 1, 2010. For more information about the scholarship, please continue to visit the website or contact Chris Hummel at: firstname.lastname@example.org.