1. Hometown, college, law school: Croton-on-Hudson, NY. College: Harvard. Law school: Harvard. Ancestry: Vienna and Odessa.
2. During my free time, I love to: travel; play games and sports with my kids; share dark chocolate with my wife, Ginger; go running in the woods with my trusty hound; watch edgy movies; watch tennis; watch the Red Sox beat the Yankees.
3. Pick one: top three favorite musicians/bands; favorite non-law read; one TV show I never miss:
Favorite musicians/bands: Can't stop at three...
- Back then: Talking Heads/Tom Tom Club; Elvis Costello; Squeeze; Stray Cats; Pretenders; Blondie; Go-Gos; B-52s; Eurythmics; Human League; Soft Cell; Joan Armatrading; English Beat; Jonathan Richman; Comateens; Kim Wilde; Kinks; Stevie Wonder; Yes; ...
- Right now: Janelle Monáe; Corinne Bailey Rae; KT Tunstall; Amadou & Mariam; Those Darlins; Ting Tings; Allman Brothers; The Clash; Vivaldi; Scarlatti; ...
Favorite non-law read: The New York Times. The Economist. Pearls Before Swine, F-Minus and Bizarro. Dune.
TV show I never miss: None. Radio show I never miss: Wait Wait Don't Tell Me.
4. Favorite law school memories: As a 1L, winning our moot court competition with my quiet, shy partner, Amy Chua. Then, a summer in NY and DC. As a 2L, working so hard that I slept only every third night. Then, a summer in LA. As a 3L, organizing the centennial of the law review. Then, a summer in NY and Paris. And then, clerkships.
5. Favorite Durham restaurant or activity: Allen & Son BBQ. Having my students over for dinner. Dedicated to Durham. Maple View Dairy Ice Cream. Local sports (watching and playing). Foster's, Caffé Driade, and Three Cups. Ginger Young Gallery. Book Harvest.