The Duke Law Public Interest Retreat is held annually. The retreat is a chance for public interest-minded students to get outside of the law school and connect with others with similar interests. The retreat has taken many forms over the years but currently takes place on a Saturday during the fall semester. Past activities have includied: icebreaker events, public interest alumni panels, public interest keynote speakers, table talk to learn from current Duke Law public interest students, and more!
The 20th Annual Public Interest Retreat will be on:
Saturday, October 21st at
Camp Royall in Moncure, NC on
Sign-ups are closed. Please contact Stella Boswell if you need to cancel your sign-up or wish to attend.
The retreat is at Camp Royall, located at 250 Bill Ash Road in Moncure, NC, which is about 45 mintues from the law school (carpooling is the ideal way to travel).
- 11:30: Lunch and Welcome
- 12:15: Getting to know other students
- 1:00: Interest area groups with upper level students
- 1:45: Break
- 2:00: Panel of practitioners
- Lily Farel L'06 (SAS; formerly with US DOJ and the FCC)
- Matt Liles (NC DOJ; formerly Cohen Milstein Sellers & Toll and US HUD)
- Jesse McCoy (Duke Civil Justice Clinic Fellow; formerly private practice and Legal Aid of NC)
- Kate Woomer-Deters (NC Justice Center Immigrant Rights Project; formerly Legal Aid of NC Farmworker Unit)
- 3:00: Creating your public interest narrative
- 3:45: Break
- 4:00: Keynote Speaker Lauren Fine L’11 (Co-founder of Youth Sentencing and Reentry Project)
- 5:00: Dinner
- 6:00 Campfire (weather permitting), s’mores and beverages
Attire is casual: Come relaxed! Leave more relaxed!
(Please note that we will be outside for the campfire and you may wish to hike around the lovely grounds or move your small group conversations outside. Wear or bring layers to make this enjoyable for the day's forecast.)
19th Annual Retreat
The retreat was held on Saturday, October 22nd at Spruce Pine Lodge on Lake Michie north of Durham. The retreat featured keynote speaker and Duke Law Alumna Marjorie Mulhall '08, a panel of clinical law faculty, small group mentoring sessions with upper level students, fun games and time for hiking. The retreat concluded with a catered dinner.
17th Annual Retreat
The retreat, held on November 14, 2014 at the Boiler Room at American Tobacco Campus, featured a panel of alumni engaged in public interest careers, information about LRAP, loan forgiveness and loan repayment, and students who spent their summers in a wide variety of public interest internships. It was followed by a dinner-and-drinks party at Tobacco Road Sports Cafe.