Library Research Guides
- Roman Law Resources, Ernest Metzger, University of Glasgow
Extremely rich compilation of bibliographies, teaching resources, and links related to the history of Roman law.
- Research Guide in English Legal History, Duke Law School
Primarily an overview of non-electronic sources in English law.
- Legal History Resources Online, University of Melbourne
Comprehensive overview of Australian legal history sources.
- Law and History Bibliography, Australia and New Zealand Legal History Society
Extensive compilation of legal history scholarship about the antipodes, unfortunately without the subject searching functionality.
- Legal History -- Crime and Punishment Research Guide, Georgetown University Law School
Extensive overview of primary and secondary sources, and internet resources, with a strong emphasis on the English and American experience.
- American Legal History Resources Research Guide, University of Michigan Law School
This pdf guide, prepared by a Michigan Law Librarian, offers a concise overview of how to get started with legal history research, as well as a host of links to case law and other public documents related to law, most of which are accessible through subscription databases.
- American Legal History Research Guide, University of Chicago Law School
Another large and comprehensive research guide in pdf form, with especially extensive overviews of archival collections related to law that are available in the Chicago area, either at research libraries or government archives. The latter include a very useful description of extant manuscript court records for the city of Chicago, the state of Illinois, and the federal government housed at the Great Lakes Branch of the National Archives.
- Guide to Manuscripts, Special Collections, Harvard Law School
Overview of Harvard’s manuscript holdings in legal history.
- Women’s Legal History Biography Project, Stanford Law School
Extensive biographical information on women lawyers in America, with bibliographies, some primary source texts, and numerous links.
- A Guide to the Police Forces of England and Wales, Ian Bridgely and Clive Emlsey, Open University