546.01 International Law of Armed Conflict
This seminar will examine the international law of armed conflict, and it focuses on the jus in bello context. Students will consider the rationale for the key concepts of the law of armed conflict, and examine their practical application in various contexts. Case studies (contemporary and historical) will be examined in conjunction with the topics covered. This historical context for the law of armed conflict agreements, the status of conflicts, combatants, and civilians, targeting, rules of engagement, war crimes, are all included among the topics the class will address. Students will be encouraged to relate legal and interdisciplinary sources in order to better understand the multi-faceted interaction between law and war. There is no examination for this course but a 30-page paper (constituting 65% of the grade) is required on a topic chosen by the student and approved by the instructor. Students desiring to use the course paper to fulfill Upper-Level and possibly other writing requirements must obtain instructor. The remainder of the grade (35%) is based on the quality and frequency of class participation. Students should be aware that this course may include discussion and visual depictions (still and video) of armed conflict and other acts of extreme violence. The textbook for this course is Gary D. Solis's "The Law of Armed Conflict: International Humanitarian Law in War" (2nd ed., 2016). This course will only be offered in the spring.
Research paper option, 25+ pages
Research and/or analytical paper(s), 10-15 pages
|Charles J. Dunlap, Jr.
|Sakai site: https://sakai.duke.edu/portal/site/LAW.546.01.Sp18
|Email list: LAW.546.01.Sp18@sakai.duke.edu
Course Requirements - LLM
Course Requirements - LLM-ICL
Course Requirements - Public Interest
|Course Areas of Practice