Virtual On Campus Interviews (OCI)
Thank you for your interest in Duke Law School! We hope you will join us for our Virtual OCI on January 13-16, 2021! To speak with our recruiting team, please contact Erin Biggerstaff or Susan Anderson.
Please review our Recruiting Policies & Guidelines before registering for Duke Law Virtual On Campus Interviews (OCI). By registering for OCI, employers recruiting at Duke Law are agreeing to adhere to these policies.
Employers recruiting at Duke Law should review Duke University's full Non-Discrimination Policy and check the section in your OCI Schedule Request labeled "Duke University School of Law Non-Discriminatory Policy" to affirm your organization's compliance.
Duke Law School does not release class rank. Duke Law School uses a slightly modified form of the familiar 4.0 scale. The modification permits faculty to recognize especially distinguished performances with grades above a 4.0. The highest grade given is 4.3. A grade of 1.5 or lower is failing. The median grade for all first- year and upper level courses of 40 or more students is 3.3. In response to the Covid-19 emergency, Duke adopted a Credit/No Credit policy for Spring 2020 for all courses with one exception. Although the default was also Credit/No Credit for Legal Analysis, Research and Writing, 1L students could elect to opt for a grade in that course. This fall, Duke plans to use its normal grading system. That said, as we experienced last spring, the pandemic is unpredictable, and we cannot foreclose the possibility that our normal grading system will need to be modified, or that individual students or courses will need to be graded differently due to health or other disruptions. For more information, please review our full Grading Policy.
|Registration opens||September 21, 2020 12PM ET|
|Notification of assigned OCI date:||Rolling basis beginning mid-October, 2020|
|Recommended Registration deadline:||October 14, 12PM ET|
|List of participating employers available to students:||October 19, 2020|
|Final registration deadline (email to inquire about registration after this date)||December 11, 12PM ET|
|OCI student bidding:||January 2-6, 2021|
|OCI schedules available to employers:||January 9, 2021, by 5PM ET|
|Virtual OCI interview dates||January 13-16, 2021|
|Upper-Level classes begin:||Wednesday, January 20, 2021|
How to Register
Please review this Virtual OCI Schedule Request Memo for detailed information on how to request a new interview schedule or how to request a transfer of your original Summer 2020 OCI schedule to the new Virtual OCI session.
Virtual OCI and Virtual Hospitality Suite Logistics
Interviews will be conducted virtually on Flo Recruit. You can learn more about what to expect in the Flo Recruit Virtual Interviews Guide.
Details on how to prepare for Virtual OCI are available in the Virtual OCI Employer Logistics Memo.
If you have registered for a Virtual Hospitality Suite, please also review the Virtual Hospitality Suite Logistics Memo.
Policies and Fees for OCI
Interview Date Assignments
While we cannot guarantee employer interview date preferences for Virtual OCI, we will do our best to accommodate your date and scheduling preferences when possible. If you have special scheduling needs (such as interview time slots better suited to your time zone or a preference to split your interviews over more than one day), please email Erin Biggerstaff.
- 1 to 99 attorney organizations; government; public interest: no charge
- 100 or more attorney (private sector) organizations: $500 per virtual room
Virtual Hospitality Suite Fees
$500 per employer. Limited space is available each day during Virtual OCI for virtual employer hospitality suites. Details on virtual hospitality suite functionality will be available in November 2020. For more information and to reserve a hospitality suite, please contact Erin Biggerstaff. Hospitality suite registration is not viewable in Symplicity.
Please review our cancellation policy below in advance of submitting your OCI schedule / hospitality suite request. Invoices will be sent to the contact listed on the OCI schedule via email starting in October 2020. Fees are due two weeks from the receipt of your invoice.
Please make your check payable to Duke University School of Law and mail it to:
210 Science Drive, Box 90367
Durham, NC 27708-0367
Virtual OCI Cancellation Policy
- Schedule and hospitality suite fees for early cancellations (made prior to 12pm ET, October 14, 2020) are eligible for a full refund.
- Schedule and hospitality suite fees for late cancellations (made prior to 12pm ET, December 11, 2020) are eligible for a half refund.
- Schedule and hospitality suite fees for cancellations made after 12pm ET, December 11, 2020 are not refundable
Cover Letters and Transcripts
Due to the volume of employers participating in Virtual OCI, we cannot accommodate employer requests for cover letters as part of the bidding process. Employers may not request cover letters or statements of interest from students during the Virtual OCI process. For this year, we will allow employers to request unofficial transcripts and/or writing samples as part of Virtual OCI bidding.
Additional 2020-2021 Recruitment Programs:
- Duke Law 2L/3L Resume Collects: Offices unable to participate in Virtual OCI may collect application materials from upper level students via four Resume Collect sessions in Symplicity. Employers may choose from the following sessions (each indicates the deadline application date for students, and the date employers receive application materials): January 7, January 7 [IP ONLY], January 21, February 4. Learn more here.
- Spring Interview Program: Our Spring Interview Program (SIP) is 100% preselect and there is no fee to participate. Registration opens via Symplicity at 12pm ET, September 21, 2020 for interview dates starting February 3, 2021. Employers may interview all class levels. Learn more here.
- Government & Public Interest OCI (GPI OCI): Learn more here.
- Posting opportunities under the “Jobs Postings” tab in Symplicity: Employers preferring an early application deadline for upper level postings (earlier than January 2021) may post positions under the “Jobs Postings / Resume Collect” tab in Symplicity instead of as a formal Resume Collect under the OCI tab. Learn more here. Employers may begin posting 1L positions under the “Job Postings” tab starting October 19, 2020.