Frequently Asked Questions

Main Content


Graduation events, including the Law School's Convocation, have been postponed. Duke remains committed to having an in-person celebration of the Class of 2020 on campus at a later date. This page will be updated as information becomes available. Please contact the Office of Student Affairs with questions.

  • Do I order a tam or a mortarboard?
    All Duke Law students, including JDs, LLMs, LLM-LEs, and students earning the doctorate of juridical studies order a tam.
  • Do I have to buy my regalia?
    All students, including JD, International LLM, and LLM-LE, or students earning the doctorate of juridical studies may either rent or purchase their regalia. The rental fee is $70, plus tax, which includes the gown, tam, tassel, and hood. To rent regalia, complete the order form found here by March 8. If you wish to purchase your hood or the entire ensemble, please contact Patti Silver in the Duke University Store at no later than February 20. (Please note that you MUST return any rental apparel. Rental apparel cannot be purchased. If you wish to purchase any part of your regalia, it will be a new item, not previously rented).
  • Do I need tickets for anything?

    Graduates and their guests do not need tickets to the Law School Convocation, Champagne Farewell or to Commencement. Graduates receive complimentary admission to the Graduation Weekend Kickoff Reception. Graduates and their guests must purchase tickets for the family barbecue for $25 each. International LLM students receive complimentary tickets to the Candlelight Dinner, guest tickets are $10 per person. If you plan to attend any of these events or want to purchase tickets, you must submit the RSVP form.

  • Do I need to RSVP for all graduation events?
    Yes. You will need to complete the RSVP form, found here, by Friday, April 10.
  • I registered for regalia, but I did not get a confirmation. How do I know I actually registered?
    The regalia site provides a confirmation that you registered. If you are unsure, please contact the University Bookstore at (919) 684-6793.
  • What should I do if I have a guest with a disability attending graduation?
    Information about disability accommodations can be found on the Duke University Commencement website. For questions regarding Law School graduation-related events, please contact the Office of Student Affairs by emailing or calling (919) 613-7007. For parking information, see parking FAQ below.

Other questions? Please contact the Office of Student Affairs at