The Hardt Cup Tournament is an annual Moot Court tournament for first-year students at Duke University School of Law.
The Hardt Cup Tournament is an opportunity for students to practice oral advocacy and a chance for the finest advocates to earn an invitation to join the Moot Court Board. The tournament begins with the oral advocacy component of the first-year Legal Analysis, Research, and Writing (LARW) curriculum, which is coordinated by the Moot Court Board.
History of the Hardt Cup
In the fall of 1962, the Duke Law community was shocked and saddened by the death of A. Lee Hardt, a student who had just completed his first year. Students in the class of 1964 chose to honor his memory by dedicating a cup in his name to be presented to the winner of the annual first year Moot Court competition. Each year, in the weeks following Spring Break, the Moot Court Board conducts the annual Hardt Cup competition for first-year students.
Appellate advocacy is an important aspect of the Duke Law curriculum for first-year students. The ability to organize oral presentations logically and persuasively, as well as the skill of responding to others' concerns and criticisms by thinking on one's feet, are invaluable to law students and law school graduates alike. Competing in the Hardt Cup is a prime opportunity for students to build skills that will help them not only in future law school courses, but also in the job market and in whatever careers they choose.
- Training Session LARW Sections 1, 2, 3, and 4 Wednesday, March 4th @ 12:30 in 3041
- Training Session LARW Sections 5, 6, 7, and 8 Thursday, March 5th @ 12:30 in 3041
- LARW Component Wednesday, March 25th through Saturday, March 28th
- Opt-in Deadline for students who completely their LARW arguments on Wednesday, March 25 and Thursday, March 26 is Thursday, March 26th at 11:59pm
- Opt-in Deadline for students who completely their LARW arguments on Friday, March 27th and Saturday, March 28th is Saturday March 28th at 11:59pm
- First Round Monday, March 30th and Tuesday, March 31st
- Round of 48 Wednesday, April 1st
- Sweet 16 Thursday, April 2nd
- Elite 8 Sunday, April 5th
- Final 4 Sunday, April 5th
- Championship Tuesday, April 7th @ 12:30pm in 3041