5 Questions for Jeff Powell
Jeff Powell returned to Duke Law in May 2012 after serving as deputy assistant attorney general in the Office of Legal Counsel at the U.S. Department of Justice and a professor at George Washington University Law School. He previously served on the Duke Law faculty from 1989 to 2010.
1. Quick bio (hometown, education, etc.):
I’m from rural Rockingham County, North Carolina. My undergraduate college was St. David’s University College of the University of Wales (now U. of Wales Trinity St. David) in Lampeter, Wales. Law school: Yale. Grad school: Duke.
2. What is your favorite law school memory?
Hanging out with my dog in the law school building … a privilege that I fear has long since disappeared.
3. What do you do for fun outside of work?
Call me boring. I love being with my family, reading, listening to music.
4. What are you reading right now?
Hilary Mantel’s Wolf Hall.
5. Tell us something that might surprise your colleagues and students.
I love chunky peanut butter. Can’t keep the stuff in the house.