5 Questions for John Ahlers
John is the Director of Financial Aid. He came to Duke Law for the job - the food and cultural experiences were extra perks.
1. Quick bio: Where is your hometown?
I'm from Granite City, IL (it's just across the river from St. Louis). I graduated from Depauw University in Indiana, where I studied Religion and Computer Science. After graduation, I joined the Charter Corps of Teach for America - Miami, where I taught first grade. Then it was on to University of Miami for a couple of years, after which I came here, to Duke Law.
2. What is your favorite TV show and why?
Community - for almost too many reasons to count, including the wonderful cast, the meta-humor and the ability to take on television tropes and clichés, the creativity of the writers, and for being the little show that could.
3. What are the three most-played songs in your music library?
I'm going to cheat and list three albums instead of songs - with the caveat that these are the most played "in recent times."
"Camp" - Childish Gambino
"Man on the Moon II: The Legend of Mr. Rager" - Kid Cudi
"The Law Come'th EP/L.D.O.C." - The Real Laww/Professor Toon (a couple of local rappers/friends)
4. What is your favorite Durham restaurant and why?
Just one?! I'm going to defy the template again, because I don't think I can narrow it down to just one.
- Guglhupf - For their bakery and beautiful courtyard!
- Toast - For their high-quality, yet inexpensive paninis
- Straw Valley - Tied with Caffe Driade for the most beautiful, peaceful setting in the triangle. (They're coffee shops that also serve wine and beer, but we'll count them as a restaurant)
Parker & Otis - For their Shrimp BLT, Peach Tea, and wonderful porch
Bull City Burger & Brewery - Doesn't the name say it all? (along with the fact that they refuse to serve anything out of season, or anything with high-fructose corn syrup)
5. Tell us something about yourself that otherwise we wouldn't know or guess.
My sister won the lottery when she was 23 (I was 20). I'm not talking about a scratch-off ticket here...