- changes in tax policy to deal with moral hazard issues in financial markets
- changes in the securities and other laws to help avert financial crises going forward
Technology: Several technology projects for 8 Rivers Capital and Palmer Labs:
- signal processing improvements to EKGs to raise their accuracy level from 30% to 90%
- improved blood clotting measurement devices (which will be especially helpful for surgeons and battlefield situations where accuracy and time are of the essence)
- algae to jet fuel for the armed services
- very inexpensive peak load rebalancing for power companies
- hybrid vehicles
- revolutionary replacements for cells phones
2. What are your interests or passions outside your scholarly work and teaching?
Backpacking in Yosemite. Bridge (although a bit rusty). Ancient Egypt. Architecture. Movies.
3. If you could sit in on one professor's class, which professor would you choose, which class, and why?
Bob Brier, Ancient Egypt. He makes the subject matter come alive.
4. What are you reading right now?
The Metaphysical Club by Louis Menand (his late father was my very close friend and advisor).
5. Tell us something about yourself that might surprise your colleagues and students.
I am learning to roller blade.