October 10, 2009
The Richard Linn American Inn of Court is proud to offer the Mark T. Banner Scholarship for law students. This scholarship is part of The Richard Linn American Inn of Court's commitment to fostering the development of intellectual property lawyers of high ethics, civility, and professionalism, and especially those from diverse backgrounds.
Law students who have entered into a JD program at an ABA-accredited law school in the United States are eligible to apply for the Mark T. Banner Scholarship.
Scholarship recipients will be selected by the Mark T. Banner Scholarship review board based on the following criteria:
- Commitment to the pursuit of a career in IP law
- Commitment, qualities and actions toward ethics, civility and professionalism
- Academic merit (undergraduate, graduate and law school)
- Written and oral communication skills determined in part through a telephone interview
- Leadership qualities and community involvement
- Member of a historically under represented group in IP law (including race, sex, ethnicity, sexual orientation, and disability)
Recipients of the Mark T. Banner Scholarship will receive $5,000 payable for the Fall semester of their second or third year of law school.
Applications will be accepted August 1, 2009 through October 10, 2009. Awards will be announced in March 2010. Applicants will submit the following documents for consideration:
- Completed Mark T. Banner Scholarship Application Form
- Academic transcripts (law school, undergraduate/graduate school)
- Writing sample (5-10 pages) (a legal writing sample is requested, if available)
- Contact information for three references
- One page statement describing how (a) ethics, civility and professionalism have been a focus of the candidate, and (b) how diversity has impacted the candidate
Applications can be picked up in The Financial Aid Office (Suite 2024)
Please visit www.linninn.org for more information about Mark T. Banner and The Richard Linn American Inn of Court.