Duke Law Podcast | New research finds 'Police agencies on Facebook overreport on Black suspects'
New research co-authored by Duke Law Professor Ben Grunwald, a scholar of criminal procedure, criminal law, and empirical methods, discovered a trend in law enforcement agencies' posts on Facebook that could be perpetuating the myth of Black criminality.
- Duke Law Professor Ben Grunwald https://law.duke.edu/fac/grunwald/
- Duke Law Clinical Professor Elana Fogel https://law.duke.edu/fac/fogel/
- Duke Law Professor James Coleman https://law.duke.edu/fac/colemanj/
2:28 Overview of research and its key findings
4:38 What is Black criminality?
5:27 Trends in research study
6:45 Concerns about posts on social media
8:32 Impact of overreporting on exonerations and death penalty reform
10:51 Influence of race on wrongful convictions cases
13:21 Suggestions to avoid overreporting
14:46 Data informing criminal justice
'Police agencies on Facebook overreport on Black suspects'
- Available to read and download at https://www.pnas.org/doi/10.1073/pnas.2203089119
Transcript at https://bit.ly/3MSDZCe.
Listen to Duke Law Podcast:
- Apple Podcasts https://bit.ly/dukelawpodcastapple
- Spotify https://bit.ly/thedukelawpodcastspotify
- Google Podcasts https://bit.ly/dukelawpodcastgoogle
- Soundcloud: https://bit.ly/dukelawpodcastsoundcloud