Government and Public Interest Employers
Our public interest-focused students come to law school on a mission, eager to contribute to your work in the field. Through their three years, they work closely with faculty and staff to explore their passions, develop practice-ready skills, and deepen their commitments to service.
This page was last updated July 2020 for the 2020-2021 Academic Year.
Flexibility for Your Needs
While we are encouraging private sector employers to delay 2L recruiting to Winter 2020-21, we remain committed to accommodating the unique recruiting needs of government and public interest employers. At your convenience, will circulate job postings and process requests for “Government & Public Interest Virtual OCI" throughout the upcoming academic year.
Post a Job or Request Virtual OCI
Alternative to the below, if you are familiar with our Symplicity system and prefer, feel free to post or request an interview date by logging in.
Post a Summer Internship or Post-Graduate Position
Email Susan Anderson and include a link to the posting and/or attach your job posting document.
Request A Virtual On-Campus Interview Schedule
Government & Public Interest Virtual On-Campus Interviews for 2Ls and 3Ls may be scheduled throughout the 2020-2021 academic year. Bidding deadlines are set about 1 week before each scheduled interview date. Once bidding is complete, we will email to you a packet of student application materials. We are happy to help schedule interviews for you or for you to schedule interviews on your own by directly contacting candidates.
To make a schedule request, email Susan Anderson with the following information:
- Interview Dates (specific date or a week’s span)
- Class Years (3L, 2L; 1L date TBD)
- Documents to collect in addition to cover letter and resume (unofficial transcript, official transcript, references, writing sample, etc)
- Position description and locations/offices you are hiring for
- Your preferred method for conducting interviews (phone, zoom, skype, etc)
- Interviewer names (once confirmed)
Post an Externship (Academic-Year Internship)
Engage with Students
Employers: "Government/Public Interest Up Close"
If you would like to host an virtual and informal chat to meet students interested on your work, contact Susan Anderson, Recruitment Coordinator. Depending on your goals and practice area, we may also connect you with a student group. You can also directly contact student organizations relevant to your specialty.
Alumni: Join Our Community
Throughout the year, the Office of Public Interest and Pro Bono hosts several programs to create community and build relationships between public interest alumni and students.
To be included in community-wide invitations to receptions or be added to our ongoing list of contacts, contact Monique Taylor. Depending on the year, options for engagement have included:
- Public Interest Career Panels
- Government/Public Interest Up Close Series (see above)
- Public Interest Retreat (September/October)
- DC Public Interest Alumni Reception (Friday evening of the EJW Career Fair each October)
- Duke Law In Your City Receptions (May-June)
- Informal matching of students and alumni based on practice area and need