Event Planning Checklist
This is a brief checklist of steps to planning a successful event. Please read the Event Policies and Procedures, Event Planning Guide, and other guidelines posted online carefully to learn about additional details and policies.
SIX WEEKS OR MORE PRIOR TO EVENT
- Determine size and scope of your event.
- Determine event budget and secure funding sources.
- Determine your co-sponsors and invitees.
- Check the Law School Event Calendar for available dates.
- Check the Interfaith Holiday Calendar for conflicting religious or cultural observances.
- Contact speakers and/or participants to determine availability.
- Confirm speakers and participants. Discuss time, date, and place, as well as dietary requirements, type of travel, payment, and technical needs. If the event will be recorded, ensure the speaker is aware of the Law School Speaker Release Form policy.
- Submit an EVENT REQUEST FORM.
- Publicize your event by creating a Duke Flyer
- Book travel arrangements and communicate travel reimbursement guidelines to participants.
- Select caterer, confirm date on their calendar, and provide a draft agenda of food service needs.
TWO WEEKS PRIOR TO EVENT
- Send reminder email to invitees.
- Submit an Event Manager Questionnaire (EMQ).
- Finalize catering arrangements.
- Place order for any rentals such as linens.
- Check in with speakers and/or participants to confirm travel arrangements and event details.
3 - 5 DAYS PRIOR TO EVENT
- Confirm final guest count with caterer.
- Send a final email reminder to invitees.
- Confirm with speakers any final arrangements such as parking passes and transportation.
DAY OF EVENT
- Check room to make sure it is clean and holds the necessary equipment and furniture.
- Meet caterer for set-up.
- Place water at the podium for each speaker.
- Set-up name tags and/or distribute programs.
- If recording event, collect media services release forms from speakers and give to media services staff.
WITHIN ONE WEEK FOLLOWING EVENT
- Send speakers thank-you notes.
- Pay vendors. Submit original receipts for payment/reimbursement.
- Compile a list of all expenses incurred for the event.
- Debrief with planning team. Discuss and document possible improvements in the process.
- Document all event details, so that future groups may benefit from your experience.