This is a brief checklist of steps to planning a successful event. Please read the Event Policies and Procedures, Event Planning Guide, and other guidelines posted online carefully to learn about additional details and policies.
SIX WEEKS OR MORE PRIOR TO EVENT:
- Determine size and scope of your event.
- Determine your co-sponsors and invitees.
- Check the Law School master calendar for available dates.
- Contact speakers and/or participants to determine availability.
- Submit a Special Event Request online.
- Confirm speakers and participants. Discuss time, date, and place, as well as dietary requirements, type of travel, payment, and technical needs. If the event will be recorded, ensure the speaker is aware of the Law School speaker release form policy.
- Determine event budget and secure funding sources.
- Establish a publicity plan for the event. Create print materials including invitations, brochures, posters, etc.
- Send invitations and/or announce your event.
- Book travel arrangements and communicate travel reimbursement guidelines to participants.
- Request special services and equipment through Event Manager Questionnaire.
- Select caterer, confirm date on their calendar, and provide a draft agenda of food service needs.
TWO WEEKS PRIOR TO EVENT:
- Send reminder email to invitees.
- Meet with all involved event staff to discuss logistics for the day of the event.
- Complete all sections in Event Manger and ensure all supporting administrators have signed off the event as complete.
- Finalize catering arrangements.
- Check in with speakers and/or participants to confirm travel arrangements and event details.
- Confirm number of attendees with caterer.
- Confirm any and all housekeeping requests.
- Confirm media services needs.
3 - 5 DAYS PRIOR TO EVENT:
- Deliver poster to Events Office to have displayed.
- Post flyers on appropriate boards.
- Send a final email reminder to invitees.
- Purchase food, drinks, ice, tablecloths, and utensils not supplied by caterer.
- Pick up parking passes for speakers.
- Print/copy nametags and other materials as needed.
DAY OF EVENT:
- Check room to make sure it is clean and holds the necessary equipment and furniture.
- Meet caterer for set-up.
- Place water at the podium for each speaker.
- Set-up name tags and/or distribute programs.
- If recording event, collect media services release forms from speakers and give to media services staff.
WITHIN ONE WEEK FOLLOWING EVENT:
- Send speakers thank-you notes.
- Pay vendors. Submit original receipts for payment/reimbursement.
- Compile a list of all expenses incurred for the event.
- Debrief with planning team. Discuss and document possible improvements in the process.
- Document all event details, so that future groups may benefit from your experience.