When you are ready to move on to your next challenge, there are steps necessary to assure a smooth transition.
Graduating students should refer to the "Year End" page for their graduation year - see the menu to the right.
Faculty and staff members will be contacted regarding the transition by law school members, but we encourage you to initiate the conversation with our helpdesk when you begin to think about it.
Things to consider:
- Your NetID will be deactivated after your affiliation with Duke ends. For students, that is typically one year after graduation (though extensions are possible). For staff, it is the day after your employment ends. For faculty, it is 30 days after your employment ends. Extensions are also possible for faculty and staff; please note extending is much easier before the employment ends.
- You will need to make copies of personal files and documents kept on the law school's network storage, Duke Box and OneDrive for Duke University.
- You should delete personal files and documents from those storage services. (Files are typically purged 30 days after your NetID is deactivated, but not in all cases.)
- You will need to copy email messages you wish to keep to another account, or create an archive of your email.
- As a courtesy post an auto-reply message to inform correspondents. (It's usually active 30 days after your NetID is deactivated.)